This creamy soup is packed with a ton of great flavor! The delicious and healthy ingredients create an AIP-friendly version of your favorite Italian soup. My Zuppa Toscana uses coconut milk, bone broth, fresh herbs, and ground pork to fill you up and keep you satisfied throughout your busy day.
Zuppa Toscana is a naturally gluten-free and grain-free soup. However, you won’t miss those ingredients! The vegetables provide enough fiber to keep you full, and promote the movement of material through your digestive system to support gut health.
Instead of cream or milk, this recipe calls for coconut milk. A healthy, dairy-free alternative that reduces inflammation and supports your body’s ability to fight viruses and the bad bacteria that causes infections.
On top of all of this, there is multiple sources of protein in my Zuppa Toscana! The ground pork and nitrate-free bacon are salty and delicious protein-packed additions. This soup will rival the recipes from your grandma’s kitchen. So make a big batch for friends and family, or for yourself to have throughout the week!
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 6 slices nitrate-free bacon chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic cloves minced
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 lb large Japanese sweet potato chopped into bite-size pieces (you can use turnips, rutabagas, or parsnips instead)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 bunch Tuscan kale destemmed
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine pork, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and thyme.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and cook until cooked through. Remove from pot and set aside. Add bacon to pot and cook until cooked through. Remove from pot reserving the grease in the pot.
- Add garlic and onion to pot and cook until translucent. Add bone broth and starchy vegetable of choice. Bring to a boil for 30 minutes, or until vegetable of choice is fork tender.
- Pour coconut milk into the pot. Add sausage and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add bacon and kale just before serving. Let cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve.